After all the rich food of the holidays, I was really craving something light, fresh, and healthy. But something that would fill me up and be satisfying. Tacos? Always a good idea.
I just got a big bag of Cara Cara oranges. These seasonal oranges are a beautiful pink on the inside and look a bit like grapefruit. They are, in my opinion, the absolute best oranges because of they are so juicy and sweet. I look forward to Cara Cara season each year and devour as much as I can. I added some to my Pico de Gallo and it paired perfectly with the coconut crusted zucchini. And topped with coconut “sour cream”? It was delicious and a wonderful post-holiday healthy meal.
Coconut Zucchini Tacos with Cara Cara Pico de Gallo
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 cup flour (rice or wheat)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1-2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 package corn tortillas (about 12)
- Cara Cara Pico de Gallo *recipe below
- Coconut Lime sour cream *recipe below
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a casserole dish with coconut oil. Slice the zucchini long ways into long flat slices, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Set up an breaded assembly line of a bowl each of flour, milk, and coconut with salt added. Dip the zucchini in the flour, then the milk, and then the coconut. Arrange in one layer on baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then flip the zucchini and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve with warmed tortillas, shredded cabbage, pico de gallo, and coconut lime sour cream.
Cara Cara Pico de Gallo
- 2 tomatoes, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cara cara orange, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 of an onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, minced (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and serve!
Coconut Lime Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- juice of 1 lime
- Whisk together and serve!