I don’t usually gravitate towards savory breakfasts. First thing in the morning, I crave something sweet and comforting to help with the reality of waking up with a toddler. But in an effort to step out of my comfort zone, I wanted to try something different for breakfast.
Scrambled tofu is basically the scrambled eggs of a plant based diet. It has a similar texture and because tofu is such a neutral food, it can be dressed up with a variety of spices.
So I combined my favorite spices, added a rainbow of vegetables, and scrambled the tofu. And I was so pleasantly surprised by the breakfast that I created. It’s flavorful, filling, and super delicious. I could definitely eat this for breakfast on a regular basis.
And compared to the sweet breakfasts that I usually eat, even if they are made with natural sweeteners, this is much healthier. That rainbow of spices and vegetables plus the high protein tofu provides a ton of nutrition. What a great way to start the day!
Running after a toddler first thing in the morning, I could definitely use all the boost I can get. Dominik loves it too, so I am happy to get more vegetables in him. I can make it even easier by chopping the vegetables the night before and just throwing it all in the pan first thing in the morning. Easy and nutritious breakfast!
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 block firm tofu
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup kale, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet or fry pan over medium heat. Cook the onion and bell pepper until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and zucchini and cook for about 5 minutes. Mix the turmeric, paprika, garlic powder, curry powder, salt, and Italian seasoning in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the cooking vegetables and mix well.
- Press the tofu between paper towels until all the excess water has been squeezed out. Using your hands, crumble the tofu into the pan and mix well.
- Continue to cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in the kale until wilted. Serve immediately.