I’ve always slept with pants, socks, a shirt, and a zillion blankets. Of course I wouldn’t sleep very well if the weather was warm, but I preferred the comfort and security of being fully clothed and covered. It was even nicer when my room was in the basement because it was always cool enough to sleep with so many layers. And then there’s my husband, who prefers no pajamas and just a blanket. At first, I was totally baffled at why anyone would want to sleep without miles of fabric wrapped around their skin, but I was happy that he didn’t try to steal the covers.
It turns out he was on to something because I keep seeing articles about sleeping nude. Sleeping in the buff goes way beyond not wanting to bother with pajamas or just being more comfortable. This is what sleeping nude can help with:
- Lowers stress hormones. When you sleep naked, your body cools down to it’s optimal sleeping temperature, which lowers cortisol. This helps with anxiety, immune system response, food cravings, and a better working metabolism.
- Improves melatonin levels. Melatonin is the sleep hormone that helps your body to repair itself during sleep. Without clothing, your body temperature is regulated more easily, meaning better use of melatonin.
- Keeps reproductive organs in tip top shape. For men, sleeping nude keeps everything cool, improving sperm count. For women, it helps circulate air which reduces heat and moisture leading to fewer yeast infections.
- Helps your skin breathe. With fewer restrictions and warm/moist conditions, your skin has the chance to release toxins and balance itself out.
- Boosts sex life. When couples are naked with skin touching, their sex life naturally improves. Also, skin to skin contact causes an increase in oxytocin, the love hormone. This is a super easy way to keep relationships working and healthy.
- Leads to better sleep. Our bodies sleep deepest and best with cool temperatures. With too many clothes, we tend to overheat and wake up more frequently. But sleeping nude helps our body to regulate it’s temperature and sleep better.