A good biscuit is the unsung hero of a hearty meal. It’s just so nice to have a warm, buttery, flaky biscuits to eat along with a meal, especially with a big slice of vegan butter.
Biscuits aren’t just something to serve on the side during a dinner. They are also a delicious breakfast with a smear of jam or nut butter. Or as an easy snack when you need a little something between meals.
These biscuits were so much fun to make with my son, who loved to roll the dough out. We didn’t get as many layers as I would have liked, but they were still delicious and came together in no time.
Whole Wheat Biscuits
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 5 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 cup nondairy milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In a large bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. In a separate bowl, mix the milk and vinegar and set aside to let it sit.
- Cut in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs. Pour the milk into flour mixture and mix well.
- Roll out the dough and fold it in half. Repeat this step 4 or 5 times in order to create the layers of the biscuit. Roll out the dough into 1/2 inch 3/4 inch round and cut out biscuits using a round cookie cutter.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the biscuits are golden.